Nominations open for Arts Pasifika Awards 2018
1 Jun 2018
Nominations are open for the Arts Pasifika Awards, which celebrate and recognise excellence in Pacific Arts across a range of contemporary and traditional Pacific artforms.
The only national arts awards for Pacific Arts, these annual awards recognise the important contribution of Pacific Arts to the richness and diversity of our multi-cultural Pacific nation.
In 2017 award winners included acclaimed visual artist Kalisolaite Uhila – who received the Contemporary Pacific Artist Award – and internationally renowned theatre director Nina Nawalowalo, who received the Senior Pacific Artist Award.
The awards recognise artists at various career stages across six categories:
- Senior Pacific Artist Award ($20,000) – recognises the contribution of a senior established Pacific artist in maintaining or developing their artform in New Zealand.
- Pacific Contemporary Artist Award ($7500) – recognises an artist who has demonstrated innovation in their artform. Artists must have a track record and have achieved in their chosen field. Recognition will be given to those who push the boundaries of their practice.
- Pacific Heritage Arts Award ($7500) – recognises an artist or cultural group who has made a major contribution to maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand. This may include language, dance, music, weaving, tatau or vaka.
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award ($5000) – recognises the contribution of the late Iosefa Enari to the arts, in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. This award supports the career development of an individual Pacific singer, musician or composer across all classical genres and career stages.
- Emerging Pacific Artist Award ($5000) – recognises an emerging artist showing promise and potential in their chosen art form. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage and to help the artist develop their career.
- Special Recognition Award ($7500) – recognises the recipient’s special contribution to the standing, and standard, of Pacific Arts in New Zealand and/or internationally. This award recognises an individual whose work, influence and commitment have raised the standards, expectations and reputation of Pacific art and artists. It may be awarded for artistry across any art form or for arts management, and could be for a one-off or ongoing contribution to a local or international success story.
Make a nomination by email. DEADLINE EXTENDED! : Closing date is 5pm, Friday 22 June 2018.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Senior Communications and Advocacy Adviser, Creative New Zealand
T +64 4 04 498 0725| M +64 27 838 8868