Arts Pasifika Awards 2017 - Nominations
Each year the Arts Pasifika Awards recognise excellence in Pacific artists across a range of artforms and across a range of stages in the artists’ careers. Artists can nominate themselves for an award or someone else can nominate an artist. Make a nomination by emailing an official nomination form to email@example.com. Details below.
- Find out who got funded recently
Varies by award
26 May 2017
This content is tagged as Pacific arts .
Who can be nominated
A nominee must:
- be a Pacific Island artist working across one or more artforms, from contemporary to heritage
- be a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand permanent resident
- have a track record and future potential for contributing to the Pacific arts and/or their specific artform’s development in New Zealand.
A nominee cannot be:
- a previous recipient of the same award category
- an employee of Creative New Zealand
- a member of the Arts Council.
Who can make a nomination
- Artists can nominate themselves for an award or someone else can nominate an artist.
- The public can nominate artists.
Arts Pasifika Awards recognise artists whose work characterises the richness and diversity of Pacific culture in this country through six awards:
- Senior Pacific Artist Award
- Pacific Heritage Arts Award
- Contemporary Pacific Artist Award
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award
- Emerging Pacific Artist Award
- Special Recognition Award.
Senior Pacific Artist Award
For: Commitment to their practice and 'mana' within the community
Pacific Heritage Arts Award
For: Maintaining, reviving and promotion of a heritage artform
Recognises an artist or cultural group who has made a major contribution to maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand. This includes language, dance, music, weaving, tatau and vaka.
Pacific Contemporary Artist Award
Recognises an artist who has demonstrated innovation within their artform. The artist must have a track record and have achieved in their chosen field. Recognition will be given to those who work in a unique artform, or those who continually push the boundaries of their practice.
Iosefa Enari Memorial Award
Recognises the contribution of the late Iosefa Enari to the arts and in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. This award supports the career development of an individual Pacific singer, musician or composer across all classical genres and career stages.
Emerging Pacific Artist Award
Recognises an emerging artist showing promise and potential in their chosen art form. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage, ensuring that the artist will develop their career further in their chosen field.
Special Recognition Award
For: Making a special contribution to Pacific arts nationally or internationally
Recognises the recipient’s special contribution to the standing, and standard, of Pacific Arts in New Zealand and/or internationally. This award recognises an individual whose work, influence and commitment has raised the standards, expectations and reputation of Pacific art and artists. It may be awarded for artistry across any artform or for arts management, and could be for a one-off or ongoing contribution to a local or international success story.
Downloads (application forms and criteria)
How to nominate an artist
To nominate an artist:
- Download and complete the Arts Pasifika Awards 2017 nomination form electronically.
- Prepare or gather support material, including letters of support.
- EMAIL your nomination form together with all supporting material to ArtsPasifikaAwards@creativenz.govt.nz by 5pm Friday 26 May 2017. (No late nominations will be accepted.)
Support material includes:
- letters of support from up to three relevant referees
- reviews and examples of the nominee’s previous work
- links to relevant online support material (or if this is not possible, then include CDs, DVDs, books, photos and colour copies)
- copies of visual material (not originals) should be provided.
Within two weeks of the closing date you will receive an email confirming that we have your nomination. If not, contact us on Sarah.Burge@creativenz.govt.nz or (09) 373 3066.
Who assesses your application
Applications are assessed by an external Pacific arts panel.
Applications are assessed on:
- the artist or group’s track record and future potential, and their contribution to Pacific arts
- how the artist or group’s practice reflects Kaupapa Pasifika
- how well the nominee meets the award criteria.
Applicants will be notified of a decision by the end of August 2017.
We list recipients on the webpage Award winners: Arts Pasifika Awards
The awards will be presented at the annual Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards ceremony in Wellington in late 2017.
No further action is required of recipients after the awards have been presented to them.