Taipei 2011 residency open for Kiwi artists
23 Dec 2010
New Zealand contemporary arts professionals have until 21 January 2011 to apply for a three-month residency opportunity at Taipei Artist Village (TAV) in Taiwan.
Located in Taipei City, nestled in its small, secluded yard with bamboo grove, TAV is an oasis in the urban environment. It includes a dance rehearsal space, piano studio, darkroom and performance hall. These facilities are available to support projects at various stages of development, including research, art creation, exhibitions and performances.
"This will be a great opportunity for a contemporary Kiwi artist to learn about Taiwan, communicate with Taiwanese artists and strengthen their professional network through establishing partnerships with Taiwanese and international artists," says Asia:NZ culture director Jennifer King.
The candidate will be required to hold an open studio and to present the results of their residency at the end of their stay. They will also be required to conduct a series of presentations or an exhibition in New Zealand upon their return. An exhibition in Taiwan is possible but not mandatory.
Residency funding details and requirements
Asia:NZ and Taipei Artists Village will provide:
- a return economy airfare between New Zealand and Taiwan
- a stipend of NZ$40 per day for up to 90 days
- NZ$500 towards production costs
- the cost of a single entry 90 day tourist visa
- a contribution of NZ$300 towards travel insurance.
Professional practising artists with a record of achievement in the preferred genres of arts practice are invited to submit a written application to Asia:NZ - more details below.
Deadline for application: 5.00pm Friday, 21 January, 2011.
A panel appointed by Asia New Zealand Foundation will select a shortlist of candidates, from which TAV will make a choice.
- Friday 21 January 2011: Application deadline
- Friday 28 January 2011: applications sent to TAV
- Friday 11 February 2011: successful candidate advised
- Mid April 2011 onwards: residency takes place (dates to be confirmed between TAV and artist)
How to apply
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, residing in New Zealand, and able to exercise a degree of autonomy and self-reliance.
Selection criteria will include:
- a specific artistic rationale for wishing to be resident in Taipei;
- record of achievement in the preferred genres – artists must have had at least one group show and one solo show;
- an understanding of the aims of the Asia New Zealand Foundation and the Taipei Artists Village;
- an understanding of the environment and cultures of contemporary Taiwan.
Please fill out the application form provided below and send three copies of the supporting material requested. Please also include letters of support.
Please do not send material which is spiral bound or in clear-files. Support material will not be returned. Please do not include original material in an application.
Project Officer, Culture
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144
For further information please contact Liyang Ma on 04-4708708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org