Nominations called for Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2010
28 Apr 2010
Nominations are being called for the Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2010 celebrating excellence in Pacific arts in New Zealand.
The five awards are an opportunity for the public to nominate both established and emerging Pacific Island artists who characterise the richness and diversity of Pacific culture in this country.
Last year’s Arts Pasifika Awards were as follows:
- Senior Pacific Artist - Sopolemalama Filipe Tohi
- Pacific Heritage Arts - weaving group Falepipi he Mafola
- Pacific Contemporary Artist - Shigeyuki Kihara
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award - singer Elisha Na’otala Fa’i
- Emerging Pacific Artist - composer Poulima Salima
Nomination forms can be downloaded from the Creative New Zealand website here or obtained by contacting Anton Carter, Senior Programme Adviser-Pacific Arts, Creative New Zealand, 04 498 0729 or by emailing Anton. Nominees must be New Zealand citizens or hold a valid New Zealand residency permit.
The Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2010 are:
- Senior Pacific Artists’ Award ($10,000) recognises the contribution of a senior established Pacific artist in maintaining or developing his or her art form in New Zealand.
- Pacific Heritage Arts Award ($5000) recognises an artist or cultural group who has made a major contribution to maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand. This will include language, dance, traditional music, weaving, and tatau.
- Pacific Contemporary Arts Award ($5000) recognises an artist or group who has demonstrated innovation within their art form. Artists must have a track record and have achieved in their chosen field. Recognition will be given to those who work in a unique art form, or those who continually push the boundaries of their practice.
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award ($4000) recognises the contribution of the late Iosefa Enari to the arts and in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. This study/travel award supports the career development of individual Pacific singers across all classical vocal genres and career stages.
- Emerging Pacific Artists’ Award ($4000) recognises an emerging artist or group showing promise and potential in their chosen art form. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage ensuring that the artist/group will develop their career further in their chosen field.
Recipients of the Arts Pasifika Awards 2010 will be announced at a special ceremony in Wellington on 8 November.
The closing date for nominations is 5pm, Friday 25 June 2010.