Call for Applications: 2012 curator tour to Korea, China and Japan
3 Apr 2012
Emerging to mid-career curators wanting experience at the edge of the global contemporary art scene are encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
Creative New Zealand, in association with Asia New Zealand Foundation (Asia:NZ), will support up to three emerging to mid-career New Zealand curators to visit China, Korea and Japan - countries all at the edge of the global contemporary art scene.
The tour runs from 5 to 28 September, 2012, but curators may also add on an optional visit to the Shanghai Biennale.
What is the curator tour?
Selected curators will visit leading art museums, galleries, and artist spaces in China, Korea and Japan over a three-week period to build their professional networks and explore possible future collaborations and artist exchanges.
The tour will include visits to the Gwangju Biennale and Media City Seoul in Korea, and the Echigo Triennial in Japan.
Participants have the option of staying on in China at the end of the tour for the Shanghai Biennale (at own expense).
Asia:NZ will arrange formal programmes in each city, in collaboration with local art experts. The selected curators will be invited to provide input into the tour itinerary.
To apply, curators must:
- show a desire to work with artists from Asia, learn about Asian art and explore opportunities for collaboration
- have support from their gallery director, or, in the case of independent curators, an expression of interest from a gallery in a specific project area
- demonstrate a track record in terms of knowledge of New Zealand arts and curatorial practice
- be prepared to share information from the tour on their return
- be prepared to make a short presentation, with images, on their institution/curatorial practice/perspectives on contemporary New Zealand art
- be available to complete the tour and have no date restrictions. (Curators leave New Zealand around September 5 and return around September 28 – unless they stay on for the Shanghai Biennale.)
- have a current passport.
Applications must be received at Asia:NZ by 12pm, Friday April 20. (contact details for application forms at end of page).
Why do we offer the tour?
The purpose of the tour is to assist curators to:
- develop and share market knowledge of the contemporary art of Korea, China and Japan and its relevance for a New Zealand audience
- explore opportunities for New Zealand artists to exhibit their work in China, Korea and Japan
- explore opportunities for exchange and/or joint exhibitions/projects
- develop their curatorial practice.
What’s expected of the curators?
During the tour, curators may be asked to give a short presentation about their institution and its perspective on contemporary New Zealand/Pacific art.
On their return to New Zealand, curators will be expected to disseminate and share information from the tour. This includes taking part in a public panel discussion, organised by Creative New Zealand and Asia:NZ.
What costs are covered?
Creative New Zealand and Asia:NZ will cover:
- Return economy class airfares
- Professional guides
- Per diems
- Ground transport.
Depending on the final itinerary selected, curators may need to contribute some funds to cover all costs.
Curators may add on an optional visit to the Shanghai Biennale in China at the end of tour. Any costs beyond the allotted grant will need to be met by the curator.
How to apply
To download an application form visit the Asia:NZ website. After completing the application form, attach all relevant documents and materials and send to:
Asia New Zealand Foundation,
Level 16, Fujitsu House
141 The Terrace
PO Box 10144, Wellington 6143