Arts Pasifika Awards to increase in value
25 Sep 2017
There will be a significant increase in the value of the 2017 Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards, which will be announced in just over one month.
In 2017 the total value of the awards will increase to $52,000 from $33,000 in previous years.
“I am delighted to announce this significant increase in the value of the Arts Pasifika Awards, which signals on-going commitment by the Arts Council of New Zealand to supporting contemporary and heritage Pacific arts and artists in this country,” said Arts Council member Luamanuvao Winnie Laban.
“The awards play an important role in publicly acknowledging Pacific arts as a cultural touchstone to the historical, cultural and familial ties between Aotearoa and Pacific peoples, who contribute so much to our modern Pacific nation.
“We are impressed with the quality of this year’s nominations, which demonstrate through many different artforms that heritage and contemporary Pacific art is thriving in Aotearoa today,” she said.
The award winners will be announced on 25 October at the St James Theatre in Wellington.
Senior Pacific Artist Award, $20,000
- recognising the contribution of a senior established Pacific artist in maintaining or developing their artform in New Zealand.
Pacific Heritage Arts Award, $7,500
- recognising an artist or cultural group who has made a major contribution to maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand. This may include language, dance, traditional music, weaving or tatau.
Special Recognition Award, $7,500
- recognising the recipient’s special contribution to the standing, and standard, of Pacific Arts in New Zealand and/or internationally. This award recognises an individual whose work, influence and commitment have raised the standards, expectations and reputation of Pacific art and artists. It may be awarded for artistry across any artform or for arts management, and could be for a one-off or ongoing contribution to a local or international success story.
Contemporary Pacific Artist Award, $7,500
- recognising an artist who has demonstrated innovation in their artform. Artists must have a track record and have achieved in their chosen field. Recognition will be given to those who work in a unique artform, or those who continually push the boundaries of their practice.
Emerging Pacific Artist Award, $5,000
- recognising an emerging artist showing promise and potential in their chosen artform. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage, ensuring the artist will develop their career in their chosen field.
Iosefa Enari Memorial Award, $5,000
- recognising the contribution of the late Samoan opera singer Iosefa Enari to the arts, in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. This award supports the career development of an individual Pacific singer, musician or composer across all classical genres and career stages.