Other sources of funding and support
There may be other options available to you outside of Creative New Zealand opportunities. We’ve compiled this list that offer funding opportunities and other support. Note this is not a comprehensive list, and we’ll continue to review it regularly.
If you know of other funding sources not listed here email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
These are New Zealand organisations, foundations, societies and trusts that offer a variety of funding opportunities.
Apra Amcos | Te Tautāwhinga
Supports projects or organisations that broadly benefit many Aotearoa songwriters and composers.
Asia New Zealand Foundation
An arts programme that brings Asia into the mainstream of New Zealand arts. Funding support for arts practitioners, professional arts organisations and event organisers. This includes residencies and curated tours to Asia.
An online hub of resources to strengthen organisations and communities. Each region has community trusts which distribute funding for the benefit of communities in their regions.
Crowdfunding and donations websites
- Boosted.org.nz - Provides artists, arts professionals and organisations with campaign support and resources to reach their funding targets, as well as assistance with their ongoing goals.
- Give a Little - Connects New Zealand causes with generous online donors.
- PledgeMe - Users can post project ideas online for people to help fund in return for a creative reward.
- Indiegogo - An international crowdfunding website.
- Kickstarter - An international crowdfunding website open to New Zealand projects.
Earle Creativity Trust
Funds specific local projects within the arts and technical sciences in the Manawatū and Rangitīkei region.
Supports services, programmes and events that will enhance the lives of people in Auckland and Northland communities.
Four Winds Foundation
Offers funding for organisations that are a non-profit body and registered as an Incorporated Society or be affiliated to a body that is incorporated and preferable registered with the Charities Commission. Grants are available for any charitable, philanthropic, amateur sporting, arts, cultural activities or something that provides benefit to a significant portion of the community in a non-commercial sense.
Generosity New Zealand
A digital search facility for funding information in Aotearoa. Their subscription-based databases are:
- GiveUs lists resource schemes for communities, volunteer organisations and clubs.
- GiveMe offers access to scholarships and awards for individuals.
- GiveER connects businesses with community groups
These databases can also be viewed at some citizens advice bureaus, most Councils public libraries, local authority offices and offices of the Department of Internal Affairs.
Provides funding to local communities for amateur sport, education and various charitable community initiatives.
Offers funding towards the development of the literary landscape of New Zealand.
MusicHelps | ĀwhinaPuoro
Offers funding to develop and support a wide range of programmes that use music to help people who are at risk, vulnerable and experiencing health issues.
New Zealand Community Trust (NZCT)
Provides funds for amateur sport and other important causes, including rescue and lifesaving services, community groups, education and culture.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ)
NZSA Auckland Museum Research Grant + Residency is available for developing a written project utilising the facilities and resources of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Library Te Pātaka Mātāpuna.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ) and Copyright Licensing New Zealand
New Zealand Research Grants support New Zealand who wish to undertake research for a fiction or non-fiction writing project.
Supports local non-profits to make a transformational impact in Wellington, Hutt Valley, Wainuiomata, Porirua, Kāpiti or Wairarapa.
Performing Arts Network of New Zealand (PANNZ)
Tour Makers supports the touring of professional New Zealand theatre, music and dance.
Publishers Association of New Zealand (PANZ)
International Career Development Fund supports participation in an international course, fellowship or internship (online or in person).
Supports community organisations to benefit people in Rātā Foundation’s four regions: Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough and Chatham Islands.
Offers funding towards educational, archival/conservation and charitable based projects.
SOUNZ Centre for New Zealand Music
- Commission for Orchestra and Sistema Youth Orchestra | Te Tono Mahinga a SOUNZ mā te Rāngai Puoro me te Rāngai Puoro Taiohi a Sistema is an opportunity for a composer to create a new work featuring the combined forces of Orchestra Wellington and Arohanui Strings.
- Community Commission | Te Tono Mahinga ā-Hapori a SOUNZ supports New Zealand professional composers and community groups to create and perform a new work.
- Jazz Recording Project | Ngā Hopuranga Puoro Tautito a SOUNZ is for a professional jazz ensemble to perform and record in Wellington a set of original jazz compositions, which have not been recorded professionally before.
- Wakatipu Music Festival Commission is for a composer to create a new work featuring the combination of community musicians, young artists, and professional festival artists.
The Sunrise Foundation
Supports charities and community organisations that have a charitable purpose in Tairāwhiti-Gisborne (the area covered by the Gisborne District Council).
Offers Kāhui-based investment programme designed to support Māori language revitalisation among kāinga, hapori and iwi.
Wallace Arts Trust
Offers awards, grants and residencies.
Wellington Jazz Festival
Offers submissions for new work from jazz composers.
These links are to New Zealand Government ministries and agencies that offer a variety of funding opportunities
Charities Services, Ngā Rātonga Kaupapa Atawhai
Lists a selection of organisations that specifically provide funding to Māori organisations.
Creative Communities Scheme
Creative New Zealand provides funding to city and district councils throughout New Zealand to distribute in their area. Applications are made directly to your local council and closing dates vary.
The Department of Internal Affairs Te Tari Taiwhenua (DIA)
Offers a range of grant programmes, fellowships, scholarships and resources for funders, communities, individuals and organisations.
Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage
- Arts and Culture Event Support Scheme covers unrecoverable costs, payments yet to be made to the likes of artists and production crew, and reasonable costs to the promoter or organiser for the planning and development of the event.
- Commemorating Waitangi Day Fund supports events that commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi and promote nation and community building.
- Cultural Sector Emergency Relief Fund provides support for cultural organisations, including sole traders, at clear risk of no longer operating viably.
- Cultural Sector Regeneration Fund comprises three cross-sector initiatives to help the cultural sector survive and thrive under COVID over the long term:
- Te Tahua Whakakaha Cultural Sector Capability Fund ensures organisations in the cultural sector have the tools to work within a COVID and post-COVID environment.
- Te Tahua Whakahaumaru Creative Arts Recovery and Employment (CARE) Fund enhances access to cultural and creative experiences, while creating new opportunities for employment and skill development across the cultural sector.
- Te Tahua Āki Auahatanga Cultural Sector Innovation Fund encourages innovative practice and partnerships to change the way cultural content is made available to audiences, helping to create a more resilient and sustainable sector.
- Te Tahua Whakakaha Cultural Sector Capability Fund ensures organisations in the cultural sector have the tools to work within a COVID and post-COVID environment.
- New Zealand History Research Trust Fund supports historians, researchers and writers working on non-fiction projects that will significantly enhance our understanding of New Zealand's past.
- New Zealand Oral History Grants, Ngā Kōrero Tuku Iho - for community-led projects reflecting diverse identities and perspectives. Supports oral history projects relating to the history of Aotearoa New Zealand and Aotearoa New Zealand’s close relationships with the Pacific.
Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
- The Major Events Fund supports major events to achieve specific outcomes that align with government priorities.
- Creative and Cultural Events Incubator aims to build internationally significant, financially sustainable creative and cultural events for New Zealand.
Ministry of Education
Creatives in Schools is a partnership between Creative New Zealand, Ministry of Education NZ, and the Ministry for Culture and Heritage. This programme partners artists and creative practitioners with teachers and kaiako to deliver high-quality arts projects with students and ākonga of all ages.
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- Travel Subsidy Grant provides subsidies for travel expenses associated with museum or gallery training in New Zealand.
- Helping Hands Grant is available to get materials, services, and information for your museum or gallery, as a whole, or to support specific projects.
- Professional Development Grant is available to access museum or gallery training programmes – local or international.
New Zealand Film Commission Te Tumu Whakaata Taonga
Provides development and production finance, as well as participating in the promotion and marketing of New Zealand films.
New Zealand Music Commission Te Reo Reka O Aotearoa
- Aotearoa Touring Programme is a contestable fund intended to reinvigorate the live music sector and assist in the recovery from the effects of COVID-19 in the domestic touring market.
- Capability Grants Programme supports music industry upskilling, training and development opportunities.
- Outward Sound is for market development initiatives and encourages the entry of New Zealand music and musicians into global markets.
NZ on Air
- Journalism funding provides targeted, short to medium-term support for public interest journalism.
- Music funding supports recording and promotion of single songs, multi-song projects and video content to help connect great New Zealand songs with New Zealand audiences.
- Scripted and Factual funding supports the development and production of local Scripted and Factual audio-visual content that reflects and develops New Zealand culture.
Te Māngai Pāho
Allocates funding to stimulate the growth and development of Māori language and Māori culture through quality broadcasting.
Te Puni Kōkiri
Offers a range of information, services and opportunities available to Māori through a range of organisations, including Te Puni Kōkiri.
These are local government funding pages where a variety of funding opportunities and resources are listed, including from local community boards.
- Ashburton District Council https://www.ashburtondc.govt.nz/ashburton-district/grants-and-funding
- Auckland Council https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/grants-community-support-housing/grants
- Buller District Council https://bullerdc.govt.nz/funding
- Carterton District Council https://cdc.govt.nz/your-district/community/community-funding/
- Central Hawkes Bay District https://www.chbdc.govt.nz/our-district/economic-development/grants/
- Central Otago District Council https://www.codc.govt.nz/services/funding-grants
- Chatham Islands Council https://www.cic.govt.nz/
- Christchurch City Council https://ccc.govt.nz/culture-and-community/community-funding
- Clutha District Council https://www.cluthadc.govt.nz/community/grants-and-funding
- Dunedin City Council https://www.dunedin.govt.nz/services/funding-and-grants
- Far North District Council https://www.fndc.govt.nz/Your-District/Funding
- Gisborne District Council https://www.gdc.govt.nz/council/funding-streams
- Gore District Council https://www.goredc.govt.nz/council/grants-funding
- Grey District Council https://www.greydc.govt.nz/03your-community/grants-and-funding
- Hamilton City Council https://www.hamilton.govt.nz/our-city/community-development/useful-info/communityfunding
- Hastings District Council https://www.hastingsdc.govt.nz/hastings/grants/
- Hauraki District Council https://www.hauraki-dc.govt.nz/our-council/funding/
- Horowhenua District Council https://www.horowhenua.govt.nz/CommunityPlaces/Grants-Community-Funding
- Hurunui District Council https://www.hurunui.govt.nz/community/awards-and-funding
- Hutt City Council http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Services/Funding/
- Invercargill City Council https://icc.govt.nz/funding-awards-and-grants/
- Kaikōura District Council https://www.kaikoura.govt.nz/our-services/community-grants-services-and-development/community-grants/
- Kaipara District Council https://www.kaipara.govt.nz/funding
- Kāpiti Coast District Council https://www.kapiticoast.govt.nz/services/a-z-council-services-and-facilities/grants-funding-and-awards/
- Kawerau District Council https://www.kaweraudc.govt.nz/about-the-council/community-grants
- Mackenzie District Council https://www.mackenzie.govt.nz/community/grants-and-scholarships
- Manawatū District Council https://www.mdc.govt.nz/About-The-Council/Community-Funding
- Marlborough District Council https://www.marlborough.govt.nz/our-community/grants-and-awards
- Masterton District Council https://mstn.govt.nz/community-4/community-grants/
- Matamata-Piako District http://www.mpdc.govt.nz/grants-and-funding
- Napier City Council https://www.napier.govt.nz/napier/grants/
- Nelson City Council http://www.nelson.govt.nz/services/community/funding
- New Plymouth District Council https://www.npdc.govt.nz/community/community-partnerships/funding-and-grants/
- Ōpōtiki District Council https://www.odc.govt.nz/our-district/community-grants
- Ōtorohanga District Council https://www.otodc.govt.nz/our-district/funding-and-grants
- Palmerston North City https://www.pncc.govt.nz/council-city/community-funding/
- Porirua City Council https://poriruacity.govt.nz/services/community-support/
- Queenstown Lakes District https://www.qldc.govt.nz/community/community-funding
- Rangitikei District Council https://www.rangitikei.govt.nz/district/community/grants-funding
- Rotorua District Council https://www.rotorualakescouncil.nz/our-city/community-development/grantsandfunding
- Ruapehu District Council https://www.ruapehudc.govt.nz/our-district/grants
- Selwyn District Council https://www.selwyn.govt.nz/services/funding-And-grants
- South Taranaki District https://www.southtaranaki.com/our-community/funding-and-grants
- South Waikato District Council https://www.southwaikato.govt.nz/our-council/grants-and-funding
- South Wairarapa District https://swdc.govt.nz/community/grants/
- Southland District Council https://www.southlanddc.govt.nz/my-council/funding-and-grants-/
- Stratford District Council https://www.stratford.govt.nz/our-district/funding-and-grants
- Tararua District Council https://www.tararuadc.govt.nz/living-here/community-information/community-funding
- Tasman District Council https://www.tasman.govt.nz/my-community/grants-and-funding/
- Taupō District Council https://www.taupodc.govt.nz/community/community-grants-and-awards
- Tauranga City Council https://www.tauranga.govt.nz/community/grants-and-funding
- Thames-Coromandel District http://www.tcdc.govt.nz/Your-Council/Funding-Sponsorship-and-Grants/
- Timaru District Council https://www.timaru.govt.nz/services/community-and-culture/community-funding
- Upper Hutt City Council https://www.upperhuttcity.com/Community/Grants-and-funding
- Waikato District Council https://www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz/your-council/community-development/funding
- Waimakariri District Council https://www.waimakariri.govt.nz/community/funding-and-grants
- Waimate District Council https://www.waimatedc.govt.nz/community/grants
- Waipa District Council https://www.waipadc.govt.nz/our-services/grants-and-funding
- Wairoa District Council https://www.wairoadc.govt.nz/our-district/grants-funding/creative-communities-nz/
- Waitaki District Council https://www.waitaki.govt.nz/District/Community-Grants-and-Awards
- Waitomo District Council https://www.waitomo.govt.nz/council/funding-and-grants
- Wellington City Council https://wellington.govt.nz/community-support-and-resources/community-support/funding
- Western Bay of Plenty District https://www.westernbay.govt.nz/community/grants-and-funding
- Westland District Council https://www.westlanddc.govt.nz/community-support-and-resources/community-grants/
- Whakatāne District Council https://www.whakatane.govt.nz/about-the-council/community-grants
- Whanganui District Council https://www.whanganui.govt.nz/Community-Culture/Funding-Opportunities
- Whangārei District Council https://www.wdc.govt.nz/Community/Community-funding
These are opportunities for awards offered by New Zealand organisations.
Adam Portraiture Award
A biennial award for portraiture held at The New Zealand Portrait Gallery.
Alana Haines Australasian Awards
For young dancers aged 11-21 years.
Dame Malvina Major Foundation
Supports young New Zealanders of outstanding ability in the performing arts who are preparing for a professional career. Currently available for young performers in the Auckland and Waikato, Taranaki, Wellington and Christchurch regions.
The Kiingi Tuheitia Portraiture Award
A competition that encourages emerging Māori artists to create portraits of their tūpuna (ancestors) in any medium. Hosted and administered by the New Zealand Portrait Gallery Te Pūkenga Whakaata in honour of Kiingi Tuheitia.
Molly Morpeth Canaday Art Award
Dedicated to excellence across contemporary and traditional painting and drawing and 3D genres as part of the Summer Arts events in Whakatane.
National Contemporary Art Award
For New Zealand artists to present their works within an overview of New Zealand artistic practice, hosted by the Waikato Museum.
National Youth Art Awards
This annual exhibition and awards are open to 13 to 25-year-olds, in three different age categories. Administered by the Waikato Society of Arts.
New Zealand Painting and Printing Art Award
For New Zealand painting and printmaking artists. Administered by the Waikato Society of Arts.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ) - Laura Solomon Cuba Press Prize
Published and unpublished authors can enter manuscripts written across genres i.e. fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, drama or children’s writing.
New Zealand Society of Authors - Lilian Ida Smith Award
To assist people aged 35-years and over to embark upon or further a literary career.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ) - Michael Gifkins Prize for an Unpublished Novel
Published and unpublished authors can enter manuscripts of adult fiction.
Olivia Spencer Bower Award
Supports artists or sculptors showing promise. Directed specifically at emerging painters and sculptors.
Parkin Drawing Award
New Zealand’s premier award for drawing. It promotes drawing in all its forms – as discovery, a testing of ideas, and decision making.
Quartz Museum, Emerging Practitioner in Clay Award
To encourage, foster and promote emerging practitioners of studio ceramics, and to present talent which has not been identified previously.
SOUNZ Centre for New Zealand Music - Contemporary Award | Te Tohu Auaha
To recognize and reward creativity, excellence and inspiration in music composition by a New Zealander.
SOUNZ Centre for New Zealand Music - New composition award for a text in Te Reo Māori
Aims to encourage young composers to write choral settings of texts in Te Reo Māori as part of The Big Sing secondary schools choral festival.
Fellowships and scholarships
These are fellowships and scholarships opportunities offered by New Zealand organisations.
Offers full and partial scholarship for in-class and blended courses in performing arts, theatre directing, visual and multimedia arts
Eileen May Norris Dance Scholarship
Awarded bi-annually to individuals who have demonstrated outstanding dance talent in New Zealand with an appropriate university, polytechnic, dance school or academy, or for those dancing with a professional body or company.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ) - Peter & Dianne Beatson Fellowship
Open to writers of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and drama who are currently working on a new project.
University of Otago - Robert Burns Fellowship
An annual fellowship that aims to encourage and promote imaginative New Zealand literature and to associate writers with the University.
University of Otago - Caroline Plummer Fellowship in Community Dance
An annual fellowship for community dance practitioners, teachers and researchers from New Zealand and overseas who have a proposed programme of activity, or project, that furthers Caroline's belief and aspirations for community dance in New Zealand.
University of Otago -Frances Hodgkins Fellowship
An annual fellowship to aid and encourage painters, sculptors and multi-media artists.
University of Otago - Mozart Fellowship
An annual fellowship to aid and encourage composers of music in the practice and advancement of their art.
University of Waikato - Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarship
Supports growth and excellence in sport, creative and performing arts, academia, and leadership.
These are residency opportunities offered by New Zealand organisations.
Arts Centre Arts Four Creative Residency Programme
To support four artists practicing in a range of artforms to create new work, build connections with each other, and engage with local arts communities and audiences at The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora in Ōtautahi Christchurch.
Auckland Council Regional Parks Artist in Residence
Auckland Council selects an artist to live and work in an Auckland regional park. The artist in residence creates new work influenced in some way by the park, which is shared with the public.
Caselberg Trust Creative Connections Residency
For artists, writers, composers and creative practitioners to complete their projects in a harbourside cottage and studio, situated in the heart of the Otago Peninsula.
Creative New Zealand / New Zealand School of Music Te Kōkī - Jazz Composer-in-Residence
For established jazz composers to work towards a new album of original compositions.
Creative New Zealand / New Zealand School of Music Te Kōkī - Music Composer-in-Residence
For established composers working in any genre (including classical composition, jazz composition, sonic arts, taonga pūoro composition, etc) who have a track record of substantial compositional activity over a period of years.
Lisa Chandler artist residency @ no.15
A self-funded and self-directed residency for professional visual artists, photographers, writers, creative thinkers and researchers.
McCahon House Residency
For practitioners in the disciplines of visual art including but not limited to; painting, photography (digital and traditional), moving image, mixed media, drawing, sculpture, and installation.
Matairangi Mahi Toi Artist Residency at Government House
Supports the development of Māori and Pasifika visual arts and creative practices. Administered by Massey University.
Michael King Writers Centre Residencies
Offers a programme of residencies for New Zealand writers for their selected project that can be fiction, drama, creative writing or in non-fiction.
Pasifika Aniva Arts Residency
Towards a three-month Residency for a Pasifika artist or practitioner who identifies as LGBTQiA+, or MVPFAFF in Pasifika communities. The Aniva Arts Residency is funded by Creative New Zealand through the Pacific Arts Strategy 2018 - 2021 and delivered by Pātaka Art + Museum.
Randell Cottage Residency
Two writers’ residencies are offered annually at the Randell Cottage. One is available to New Zealand writers and the other to French nationals.
An international website that hosts information on over 400 international arts residencies.
Robert Lord Cottage Residency
Offers a rent-free residency for writers at Robert Lord’s worker’s cottage in Dunedin.
Toi Pōneke Arts Centre residencies
Offers time, space and support for Wellington-based creative professionals to develop their practice.
Toi Pōneke Dance Development Residency
For one choreographer to rehearse and present a new dance work.
Toi Pōneke Emerging Production Designer Residency
For an emerging production designer, working in either one or all of LX, Sound and Set Design areas.
Toi Pōneke Screenwriter Residency
For a Wellington-based screenwriter with a feature film project at a stage that will benefit from focused development towards completion of a draft of the script.
Toi Pōneke Arts Centre and New Zealand School of Music Te Kōkī Sound Art - Sound Artist in Residence
Provides an artist with a studio space to work, and development support towards an exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery.
Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Visual Art Residency
Provides a studio space, stipend, and exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery.
Tylee cottage artist-in-residence programme
Provides a unique opportunity for an artist to develop a new body of work under less pressured circumstances. The programme is administered by the Sarjeant Gallery.
University of Otago College of Education / Creative New Zealand Children's Writer in Residence
For established children's writers to work full time in a compatible environment among colleagues who are concerned with the teaching of reading and literature to children.
Verb Wellington Writer’s Residency
An opportunity for artists to focus on their writing at the Katherine Mansfield House & Garden.
These are organisations where a variety of capability building and development resources are offered.
Home Ground - Project Tahi 2022
A collaborative creativity and wellbeing initiative for women who have experienced incarceration or are engaged in the justice system.
Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko Online Mentorship Programme
Supports the development of sustainable and successful career pathways.
New Zealand Japan Exchange Programme
Promotes a deeper understanding between New Zealand and Japan through a programme of educational and cultural exchanges.
New Zealand Music Commission - Industry Internship Programme
To help emerging music professionals and recent tertiary graduates gain experience and kick-start their careers in the music sector.
New Zealand Society of Authors Te Puni Kaituhi o Aotearoa (PEN NZ)
Services the society offer include a mentoring programme, manuscript appraisal, assessment services and information on literary awards, grants and fellowships.
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
Works with private and public sectors to help businesses, industries and regions generate sustainable growth and overcome challenges and achieve success in export markets.
Performing Arts Network of New Zealand Network (PANNZ) - Arts Market
Promotes and encourages a sustainable performing arts touring network, and facilitates and develops communications networks within the professional performing arts community in Aotearoa New Zealand. Also plays a key role in supporting international opportunities for New Zealand work.
Philanthropy New Zealand | Tōpūtanga Tuku Aroha o Aotearoa (PNZ) - Match | Te Puna Taurite
Offers an online service that helps both those seeking and distributing philanthropic funding in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Philanthropy New Zealand
Hub of philanthropy in New Zealand provides thoughtful leadership and practical help for anyone with an interest in giving to make the world a better place.
Regional Arts Network Aotearoa
Collective of regional arts organisations that provide support for arts, culture and heritage development throughout Aotearoa.
The Big Idea Te Aria Nui
A resource of creative opportunities, jobs, news, events and inspiration.
For creatives who are looking to develop a financially viable and rewarding career. Supports artists to build the non-creative skills required to sustain a viable career in the creative sector. Delivered by Depot Artspace and supported by the Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage and Ministry of Social Development.
Women in Film and Television, Ngā Wāhine o Te Aro Whitiāhua
A mentoring programme for talented filmmakers to reach the next stage in their creative careers.