Prime Minister's Awards for Literary Achievement
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MONDAY 6 MAY. Each year the Prime Minister's Awards for Literary Achievement recognise New Zealand writers who have made a notable contribution to New Zealand literature in the genres of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. New Zealanders are invited to submit a nomination.
- Find out who got funded recently
$60,000 in each category
6 May 2019
Who can be nominated
- be living New Zealand writers
- be a New Zealand citizen or resident
- be writers whose work has been acclaimed and acknowledged by their peers and the general public
- not be a previous recipient of the award in any genre — see previous recipients.
Acclaim and acknowledgement of the writer will be shown by having:
- written a body of work that has received national acclaim
- received a major fellowship, residency, book award and/or international recognition
- shown leadership in the New Zealand literary sector.
Who can make a nomination
- Only New Zealand citizens, residents and organisations may make a nomination.
- Writers may also nominate themselves.
- Cannot be employees of Creative New Zealand.
- Cannot be employees of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- Cannot be members of the Arts Council.
One award is made each year in each of three categories:
- Fiction: any genre including novels, short stories, plays, children’s fiction, and scriptwriting.
- Non-fiction: any non-fiction discipline is acceptable with the quality of the work being the main determinant.
This year we’ve made some changes to improve the accuracy of information about the nominee, and make the process more transparent. In addition to the statement provided by the person making the nomination, nominees will now have the opportunity to provide their most up-to-date bibliography and biography. We’ll ask nominees for this when we advise them of their nomination, after the closing date.
How to nominate a writer
You can only nominate one writer per category.
Email us with the name of the writer or writers you wish to nominate by 5pm on the closing date. Within the body of the email include a brief statement about why you have nominated the writer/s and how they meet the criteria. Your statement must not exceed 500 words.
We are not able to accept any attachments or support material with your email nomination.
Nominations are assessed on how well they honour the purpose of the award, which is to recognise New Zealand writers who have made a notable contribution to New Zealand literature in the genres of fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
We look for the following indicators:
- The nominee’s body of written work has received national acclaim.
- The nominee has received a major fellowship, residency, book award and/or international recognition.
- The nominee has displayed leadership in the New Zealand literary sector.
Our assessors use the following assessment scale:
Who assesses your nomination
Nominations are assessed by an expert external literary panel and recommendations are forwarded to the Arts Council for approval.
Nominate peer assessors for our funding programmes
You can nominate external peer assessors, whose role is to evaluate a range of applications made for our funding programmes and initiatives against specific criteria.
The recipients of the awards are contacted following the Arts Council's approval of the recommended recipients on 26 June 2019.
The awards are announced in our media release. We will list award recipients on our website.
The recipients are invited to an official function to receive their awards soon after the public announcement.
We do not require a completion report from the recipients of this award.
For more information or advice:
- phone 0800 273 284
- email email@example.com