Creative New Zealand encourages, promotes and supports the arts in New Zealand for the benefit of all New Zealanders through funding, capability building, our international programme and advocacy.
We offer financial support for emerging and established artists, art practitioners, groups and organisations.
We provide training and resources to help develop arts capability
We provide training and online resources such as workshops, coaching and videos to help artists and practitioners develop professionally, grow audiences and markets and manage their organisations. We also support internships and national touring to help develop New Zealand arts.
International presentation and cultural exchange
We promote New Zealand art internationally
We connect high quality New Zealand art and artists with international markets and audiences through presentation, touring, relationship building and collaborative projects including cultural and artistic exchanges.
We advocate for the arts, and develop and implement arts policy
We advocate and assist others to advocate on behalf of the arts to central and local government and to other interested parties. Our advocacy work includes:
- carrying out research for the benefit of the arts sector
- delivering other resources to the sector
- making submissions on issues affecting the sector or Creative New Zealand and collaborating with other agencies on areas of mutual interest
- encouraging the diverse artistic traditions and cultural heritage of our communities
- building an evidence base for public value of the arts.
For further information, see our Advocacy Toolkit, our Advocacy Guide and meet the Advocacy team