Our vision is one of dynamic and resilient New Zealand arts valued in Aotearoa and internationally.
Who we are
Creative New Zealand is the trading name of the Arts Council of New Zealand Toi Aotearoa, continued by the Arts Council of New Zealand Toi Aotearoa Act 2014.
We are funded by the New Zealand Government through the:
Our purpose is to encourage, promote and support the arts in New Zealand for the benefit of all New Zealanders.
The principles we follow include recognising and upholding:
- the cultural diversity of the people of New Zealand
- the role in the arts of Māori as tangata whenua
- the arts of the Pacific Island peoples of New Zealand
- participation, access, excellence, innovation, professionalism and advocacy.
Our vision is one of dynamic and resilient New Zealand arts, valued in Aotearoa and internationally.
Our values describe the actions and behaviours the arts sector, our partners and the public can expect from us as we work with them.
- Mana Toi — we champion the role of the arts and the contribution artists make to our lives.
- Tauiwi — we recognise New Zealand’s distinctive cultural and social diversity and work to ensure arts opportunities for all.
- Mana Māori — we recognise and support the role of Māori as tangata whenua in the arts.
- Mana Pasifika — we recognise the arts of the Pasifika peoples of New Zealand.
- Mahitahi — we work together with others so we can achieve more, including exploring the big picture and sharing what we learn.
- Te Taumata — we set high standards for our work.
- Tauutuutu — we are open, frank and respectful in our relationships.
- Manaakitanga — we are welcoming and responsive to all.
Our strategic outcomes
To develop a strong and dynamic arts environment, we focus on achieving these long-term goals or strategic outcomes:
- Stronger arts communities, artists and organisations as shown by:
- High-quality New Zealand art is developed.
- New Zealand arts gain international success.
- Greater public engagement with the arts as shown by:
- New Zealanders participate in the arts.
- New Zealanders experience high-quality arts.
Our strategic documents
Our intentions and objectives are described our Statement of Intent 2019-2029. Learn more about our plans for each year, including our priorities and deliverables, in our Statement of Performance Expectations