10 Feb 2010
This content is tagged as Music .
Can’t wait for WOMAD – experience the sounds of WOMAD New Zealand 2010 on the newly released compilation CD, WOMAD NZ 2010: Sounds of the Planet.
The CD is the official compilation released ahead of the three-day festival which takes place 12-14 March 2010 at Brooklands Park and TSB Bowl, New Plymouth.
Providing a snapshot of WOMAD 2010, the 14 artists featured on the compilation CD take listeners on a journey through a bold cross-section of genres, cultures, nationalities and generations – from the soulful strains of Ethiopian singer Mahmoud Ahmed to the pristine classical folk of Finland’s Lepistö & Lehti; from the outrageous chanson ska punk of Babylon Circus to the plaintive oud virtuosity of Algeria’s Kamel El Harrachi.
The hot and feisty gypsy fusion of Ojos de Brujo, where flamenco meets hip hop; Mariem Hassan’s emotive refugee cry from the Western Sahara; and haunting prairie rock of Calexico that billows from the hot Arizona winds provide a whirlwind of experience of the wider world of music in your own living room.
WOMAD NZ 2010: Sounds of the Planet Track Listing:
1. Kamel el Harrachi – Ya Rayah
2. Calexico – Victor Jara’s Hands
3. Lepistö & Lehti – Helsinki
4. Ojos de Bruo – Nuevo Vida
5. The Skatalites – New York Minute
6. Public Opinion Afro Orchestra – Two Sides of the Truth
7. Mahmoud Ahmed (Ethiopiques) – Ere Mela Mela
8. Babylon Circus – La Cigarette
9. Mariem Hassan – La Tumchu Anni
10. Ladi6 – Walk Right Up
11. Mairtin O’Connor Trio – Crossroads Crossroads
12. Dub Colossus –Sima Edy
13. Amal Murkus – Stranger in a Far City
14. Nickodemus – Mi Swing es Tropica
WOMAD NZ 2010: Sounds of the Planet is available now from record stores and usual music retailers.