Loading Docs 'Connect' 2015 | Call for proposals
30 Oct 2014
Loading Docs seeks proposals from New Zealand filmmakers for creative and original three-minute documentary shorts.
The theme for 2015 is 'connection'. How you interpret this theme is up to you, be it an exploration of human connection, our relationship with technology, the environment, community or culture.
Loading Docs is a unique initiative that aims to produce short documentaries that will captivate and inspire audiences locally and internationally, while also developing and promoting New Zealand filmmaking talent.
In 2014 Loading Docs launched a diverse selection of films that have been viewed all over the world via the Loading Docs site and The New Zealand Herald and featured on high profile sites such as Short of the Week, Laughing Squid, The World’s Best Ever and Film Shortage as well as achieving Staff Picks on Vimeo.
Loading Docs films have been broadcast on 3News, Seven Sharp, 20/20, Te Kaea, as well as on the Māori Television Series Iti Pounamu and on the Rialto Channel, selected for film festivals such as Show Me Shorts (NZ), Out Takes (NZ), ImagineNATIVE (Canada), New Zealand Short Film Festival (Aus) and screened on Air New Zealand flights.
In 2015 successful applicants will take part in professional development workshops and receive support from Loading Docs producers. Films will be made freely available to view and share online and promoted locally and internationally to achieve maximum exposure for filmmakers.
10 films will be selected. Each film will receive:
- $2,000 production funding, AND
- An additional $2,000 matched funding to support a crowdfunding campaign (we'll match each dollar your raise through crowdfunding up to $2,000)
- A colour grade and sound-mix from Toybox and Sale Street Studios.
What we are looking for:
Filmmakers must be New Zealand residents with a proven track record in screen production.
Proposals will need to have a succinct compelling concept, a clearly delineated storyline and a unique creative director’s vision discussing visual treatment, structure and style.
We will look for film subjects and styles that will appeal to a range of different audiences, and will reflect a diversity of cultures, ages, regions and perspectives.
Proposals must have a realistic timeframe and budget and demonstrate credible access to the proposed subject(s) and story.
Applicants must identify target audiences, communities of interest and demonstrate a commitment to crowd funding, outreach and professional development.
Watch the films produced for Loading Docs 2014 to find out more about the kinds of films that interest us.
- Loading Docs invites proposals for 3-minute New Zealand documentary shorts based on the theme of ‘connection’.
- Filmmakers must be New Zealand residents, and must participate in all aspects of the Loading Docs initiative, including:
- Professional development workshops: a two-day workshop on 31 Jan/1 Feb 2015 and a one-day workshop with an international guest in June 2015.
- A month-long crowdfunding campaign for the film in March 2015.
- Outreach to support the film's crowdfunding, promotion and distribution.
- All deadlines for delivery must be met.
- Proposals must be submitted via the Loading Docs website by 5PM, Monday 8 December 2014.
- 8 December 2014: Submission deadline
- Mid-December 2014: Selection announced
- 31 Jan/1 Feb 2015: 2 Day development, outreach and crowdfunding workshop
- March 2015: Crowdfunding campaign (30 days)
- April 2015: Film production officially begins
- July 2015: Films launch and are shared and promoted in New Zealand and all over the world.
Visit www.loadingdocs.net to find out more about Loading Docs and to submit a proposal.