Call for applications for Taipei Artist’s Residency
24 Sep 2009
A residency opportunity of up to three months in Taipei for a New Zealand contemporary arts professional is being offered by the Asia New Zealand Foundation and Taipei Artist Village.
Located in Taipei City, nestled in a small, secluded yard with bamboo grove, Taipei Artist Village (TAV) is an oasis in the urban environment. TAV includes a dance rehearsal space, piano studio, darkroom, and performance hall; all facilities to support projects at various stages of development, including research, art creation, exhibitions and performances.
Managed by the Taipei Culture Foundation, TAV continues to be a centre for creativity, reaching out to local residents as well as foreign artists through a variety of activities. TAV enjoys a growing influence in Taiwan’s artistic circles as it provides a valuable experimental ground for the arts in Taiwan. The residency programme exists to promote multinational and cross-disciplinary collaboration.
TAV will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to learn about Taiwan, communicate with Taiwanese artists and to establish networks and dialogues between Taiwanese and international artists.
The candidate will be required to hold an open studio and to present the results of their residency at the end of their stay. They will also be required to conduct a series of presentations or an exhibition in New Zealand upon their return. An exhibition in Taiwan is possible but not mandatory.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation and Taipei Artists Village will provide:
- a return economy airfare between New Zealand and Taiwan
- a stipend of NZ$40 per day for up to 90 days
- NZ$500 towards production costs
- the cost of a single entry 90 day tourist visa
- a contribution of NZ$300 towards travel insurance.
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, residing in New Zealand, and able to exercise a degree of autonomy and self reliance.
Professional practising artists with a record of achievement in the preferred genres of arts practice are invited to submit a written application to Asia New Zealand Foundation by no later than 5pm on Friday, November 27 2009.
A panel appointed by Asia New Zealand Foundation will select a shortlist of candidates, from which TAV will make a choice. Selection criteria will include:
- a specific artistic rationale for wishing to be resident in Taipei;
- record of achievement in the preferred genres – artists must have had at least one group show and one solo show;
- an understanding of the aims of the Asia New Zealand Foundation and the Taipei Artists Village;
- an understanding of the environment and cultures of contemporary Taiwan.
- Friday 27 November: Application deadline
- Monday 14 December: shortlisted applications sent to TAV
- Monday 21 December: successful candidate advised
- March 2010 onwards: residency takes place (dates to be confirmed between TAV and artist)
Please fill out the Asia New Zealand Foundation application form and send three copies of the supporting material requested. Please also include letters of support.
Please DO NOT send material which is spiral bound or in clear-files. Support material will not be returned.
PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ORIGINAL MATERIAL IN AN APPLICATION.
Project Officer, Culture
Asia New Zealand Foundation
PO Box 10 144
For further information please contact: